Subject: Re: Problem with tftp
To: Sridhar Ayengar <sridhar@ikickass.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/23/2001 11:55:16
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Is there anywhere I can find the overview of the syntax used by the boot
> PROMs on this box?

	It's boot A/B/filename -flags where A is the TurboChannel slot
number of the device, B is either mop/tftp for an ethernet card, or rzX
where X is the SCSI ID of a device on a SCSI chain. I *do not* know what
the command is for TCDS because it's not supported and no one on the list
has ever mentioned it before. The flags are -a for autoboot -s for single
user (if no flag it specified it will go to single user) and there is one
more that I'm forgetting I think.

	The onboard TC slots on a 200 go like this 7 is the CPU module, 6
is the onboard 10Base2 Ethernet port, 5 is the onboard SCSI. 4 and 3 are
unused, and 0,1, and 2 are the TurboChannel slots that you put add in
boards in (numbered 1,2 and 3 respectively)

	Example auto-booting from an HD connected to a SCSI controller in
TC slot 5, SCSI ID 0 (onboard controller): boot 5/rz0/netbsd -a

> Then maybe I should try to install onto my DS3100 first and then use
> NetBSD as the tftp or mop server to install onto the DS5K/200.  I was
> kinda hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

	That ought to work, except with 1.5 because mop is broken in 1.5,
tftp should work though.

> I use a DEC RRD42 in a third-party external enclosure attached to the
> baseboard SCSI.  I have a 4.5GB IBM HDD in a similar enclosure attached to
> the TCDS in fast mode.  Active termination all around.

	Booting from a TCDS is fine, but once you've booted you won't be
able to access it because the TCDS isn't supported in the release code
base. It's working in -current as of a few weeks ago, but no new snapshots
have been made that I know of. You're basically SOL unless someone back
ports the driver to 1.5Release. You'd be stuck with the onboard
Slow-Narrow SCSI controller. There certainly aren't any install kernels
with TCDS support complied in.

> I can find it.  I will see if it works.  Is it a lot smaller?  That might
> help.  Thanks for all the help.

	Yes, and it can boot gzipped ELF kernels IIRC.

	Chris