Subject: Re: Problem with tftp
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Sridhar Ayengar <sridhar@ikickass.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/23/2001 09:25:47

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Chris Tribo wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
> > Hi.  I have a DS5K/200 that I am trying to tftp-boot off of a PC running
> > Linux across a 10Mbps ethernet.  Whenever I issue the boot ROM command,
>
> What are you runing. If it's RedHat 6.1 or 6.2, mop is probably busted (as
> well as NFS, so you're probably screwed either way) At least, such was the
> case with interactions between 1.4.x, I dunno about 1.5(.x), and to make
> matters better, I think the tftp in recent Linuxes dropped support
> for an older syntax of tftp that DECstations use too. You might be SOL
> (without a lot of patches on the Linux side), or it may Just Work (tm) and
> you missed something.

I am running Slackware-7.1.0.  Will this be a problem?

> > boot 2/tftp
> >
> > it comes back after a few seconds with,
> > ?io: 2/tftp,tmout
>
> 	I presume you have tftp enabled in inetd.conf and the kernel in
> /tftpboot with the proper permissions. (or configured elsewhere in
> inetd.conf)

tftp configuration seems to be fine.  When I try to tftp netbsd-install
from another machine, it succeeds in 8 seconds.

> 	What version is the PROM on your DEC box? If it's not KN02-AA
> v5.3t (? I think ?), you might not be able to tftp kernels larger than
> 512k (which doesn't get you very far). There is however a two-stage
> network bootloader that *might* work for you.
>

> 	Chris

I have a KN02-AA v5.3c.  Will this be a problem for tftp?  Will I be able
to use mop instead?  Do I have to use a secondary bootloader?  What would
be the syntax for booting a CD-ROM on this box?

Peace...  Sridhar