Subject: Re: Randomly crashing DECstation 5000/125 with NetBSD 1.5
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Alexander Schreiber <alexander.schreiber@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/19/2001 13:54:28
Hi!

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

> On 19 Feb, Alexander Schreiber wrote:
>
> > During the messing around with the system it occured to me that the cache
> > chips on the CPU module get rather hot - too hot to touch in fact.
> [...]
> > The temperature of the room where
> > the DECstation is running is about 30 degrees Celsius ...
> That's IMHO to much. I had the same problem with my i386 box last year.
> At one of the first hot days the machine crashed after 210 days uptime.
> I had to slow down the memory timing to get it back functional.

So I'm going to try to bring down the temperature of the cache chips by
adding a fan blowing directly at the CPU module. Hope that helps.

BTW: It seems that the only difference between a DECstation 5000/125 and a
DECstation 5000/120 is the clock speed of the CPU? I have another DS5000
(a 120) which I'm currently cannibalizing for parts since it won't get to
the PROM prompt.

> > What do you think,
> > is a DECstation 5000/125 with 16 MB of RAM powerful enough to route, NAT
> > and filter a 10 MBit/s network connection?
> I think this machine can do the job. Of course with only 16MB RAM the
> machine has to be dedicated to this job.

I'm in the process of aquiring another 32 MB for this machine - the auction
on ebay is already won, we just have to arrange for payment and shipping ;-)
So I would end up with 48 MB - this should be enough (my current firewall
machine is a 486DX50 with 32 MB RAM).

Regards,
       Alex.

 EMail : als@thangorodrim.de              | WWW : http://www.thangorodrim.de/
 "I think there's a world market for about five computers."
         -- attr. Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board, IBM), 1943