Subject: Re: Randomly crashing DECstation 5000/125 with NetBSD 1.5
To: None <alexander.schreiber@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/19/2001 09:13:35
On 19 Feb, Alexander Schreiber wrote:

> During the messing around with the system it occured to me that the cache
> chips on the CPU module get rather hot - too hot to touch in fact.
[...]
> The temperature of the room where
> the DECstation is running is about 30 degrees Celsius ...
That's IMHO to much. I had the same problem with my i386 box last year.
At one of the first hot days the machine crashed after 210 days uptime.
I had to slow down the memory timing to get it back functional.

> What do you think,
> is a DECstation 5000/125 with 16 MB of RAM powerful enough to route, NAT
> and filter a 10 MBit/s network connection?
I think this machine can do the job. Of course with only 16MB RAM the
machine has to be dedicated to this job.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen