Subject: Re: boot.net for pmax?
To: Jay D. Allen <jay@fork.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/12/2001 14:30:51
"Jay D. Allen" wrote:
<snip>
> 1.  As near as I can tell it does not work.  You need a mop protocol
> image, or an a.out image.   The latter begets the former if you
> can make an a.out kernel and use mopa.out.  If I'm missing something
> here please clue me in, but as near as I can tell there is no working
> mop-boots for NetBSD-1.5/Pmax.

	Use elf2aout on the ELF kernel. It's present if you installed the
compiler tools. AFAIK, there is no two-stage MOP boot loader like NetBSD/VAX.
I wish there was. It would be nice to be able to use the MOP boot loader to
load gziped ELF kernels instead of waiting for an uncompressed aout kern to
download.

> 2.  It would make the decstation install more consistent with the other
> ports; Sparc, HP300, vax.  They all use a secondary, network loadable,
> boot loader.

	Greg McGarry has a working two-stage network bootloader on his web page,
check http://www.sprc.qut.edu.au/~mcgarry/netbsd/netboot/   I think it can be
loaded
by either TFTP or MOP.

	Chris