Subject: Re: Dec station 500/133
To: jeff moncrieff <moncrie@home.com>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/08/2001 10:55:29
--------------81F2AED96D70840A827C076F

jeff moncrieff wrote:

Hi folks,

> It appers that it is a KN02-BAv5.7. and version does not support tftp does
> any one know how to over come that problem
> Simon Burge wrote:

tftp booting is something strange with pmaxes, even the PROM list isn't
reliable !

Recently I tried to tftp-boot a 5000/240 (PMAX+) with an PROM rev.
V5.2b. According to the PROM list, there should be no problem booting
tftp. But for 1.5 I can definitely state, that this does not work.

On the other side I tried a 5000/133 with an PROM V5.7j, which cannot
boot tftp. But it works great.

This information is valid for NetBSD 1.5. The tftp server was a 5000/120
running 1.4.1.

So, I would try booting tftp. This somehow more convenient due to not
having to disassemble the disks.

> > jeff moncrieff wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > > I have a  dec staion with no os and like to instal on netbsd via net
> > > boot. I set it the linux box where i have the kernel. with tftp and
> > > dhcpd (isc) but when i type in boot 3/tftp it says ? io 3/tftp,
> > > err1"file not found" I put  install.ecoff   in /tftp do i have chmod
> > > install.ecoff?
> >
> > What does your entry in dhcpd.conf for the DECstation look like
> > exactly?  Also, some models have problems TFTPing kernels - look at
> > http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms for a (known)
> > list of PROM revisions.  The prom revision is displayed at the end of
> > the self tests before the >> prompt appears - it should be something
> > like "KN02-BA v2.1k".
> >
> > Simon.
> > --
> > Simon Burge                            <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
> > NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/
>
> --
>
> Jeff Moncrieff
> Onwer of canadian-auction.com
> moncrie@home.com
> jeff@www.canadian-auction.com
> fax (253) 663-9635
>
> _____________________
--------------81F2AED96D70840A827C076F

begin:vcard
n:Lienig;Uwe
tel;fax:(+49 351) 462 3476
tel;work:(+49 351) 462 2780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Forschungsinstitut Fahrzeugtechnik -FiF-;Computer Aided Design and Advanced Simulation Technology
adr:;;Friedrich-List-Platz 1;Dresden;Saxony;01069;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
note;quoted-printable:... have you ever seen MicroSoft users smiling ...=0D=0A=0D=0ASysAdmin
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6720
fn:Uwe Lienig
end:vcard

--------------81F2AED96D70840A827C076F--