Subject: Re: Mop Boot for 5000/240
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/30/2001 10:23:57
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> > My Decstation 5000/240 has one of the busted proms that can
> > not boot using tftp.
>
> Isn't it an option for you to try dd'ing raw filesystem image to your
> disk for initial bootstrap?  The file is found in pmax distribution as;
>
> 	installation/diskimage/diskimage.gz
>
> Tohru Nishimura

	Thats what I do, works like a charm. First unzip the file, then dd
it onto any small SCSI drive (the unzipped install image is only 2M)  You
can dd the image to actual drive you are going to use but if anything goes
wrong during the install, you may have to re-do the diskimage dd, so I
normally just use a small helper drive.

	I just installed 1.5 onto a Maxine (and an DEC 3000/300) this way.
I have a small SCSI drive (RZ24) in an external case just for this use.
Once sysinst is running I usually use ftp to a local machine to complete
the install. I have done netboot installs, but if you have a helper
machine with a SCSI interface, the diskimage system is simpler (IMHO)

Peter Wallace