Subject: Re: Video specs?
To: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
From: Crossfire <xfire@xware.cx>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/21/2001 12:17:11
----- Original Message -----
From: "leo herranen" <leo.herranen@raketti.net>
To: "Peter C. Wallace" <pcw@mesanet.com>
Cc: <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 8:21 AM

> At 11:35 18.1.2001 -0800, you wrote:

> >The PMAGB-B has 2 jumper selectable resolutions. Second resolution
> >depends on model (letter after last "B")
> My /240 says it's a -BA (with the cnfg command of course)

The PMAG-BA's are supported IIRC, since I'm pretty sure thats what my
primary in my 5000/240 is.

> > Many other options are available for the second oscillator (1024 x
> >864 x 60 Hz refresh for old DEC monitors for example) but I'm not sure
> >they are supported by NetBSD
>
> How about the smaller resolutions, are they 8 bpp too? I'd like to use the
> /240 for Internet (mainly news and email, a bit of www and ftp, so i'd
like
> to run X) so I could use 1024*768 (or 1152*864) @ 16 bpp, at least 66
Hz...
> or maybe a little bit less. How slow will Nutscope be with the box? Any
> monitor suggestions? I am going to build a cable for VGA monitors, because
> they're of course widely available here...

The framebuffers are all fixed bitdepth - and you can't change resolution on
the fly.  You're stuck with icky colourmaps unless you can get your hands on
a PMAG-JA (tfb) - and even then, I'm unaware of what the status of the tfb
driver is.

As for building cables for VGA monitors, you're nuts.  You need to find
monitors with BNC inputs that accept Sync-on-Green - some of the DiamondView
monitors (like my 17") do support this, but as a general rule of thumb, not
all VGA monitors do - and there is _NO_ way you're going to be able to make
a 3W3 -> HD15 converter that works without building an icky black box to
convert sync.
--
| Crossfire      | This message was brought to you |