Subject: Re: DECStation 5000 running at last! Now just a few questions...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/10/2001 09:21:14
Andrew Dran commented on his own WSCONS Xserver project;

>> new [WSCONS] X server will seek the sane solution for it.
>
> You'll be pleased to know that it'll drive PixelStamp adapters. I have a
> test server running 32-bit color on my PXG at home. It's faster than the
> `real' frame-buffers for most things, but painfully slow for anything
> involving big pixmaps (so no Gimp or colourful root window tiles).

Doh, poor performance of pixmap transfer is _the one_ blamed by ULTRIX
FAQ.

The speed enhancement of root window titling is very visible to users.
I have an idea to accelerate titling.  Build 32bit aligned block of
title in PXG memory first, then replicate it double in size, then
double it, double it...  With just a few iteration you will have a
large image, then copy and title the resulting to the target area.

Tohru Nishimura