Subject: Re: 1.5 performance
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/10/2001 08:11:53
> I'm running the following pmax hardware at home:
>
> DS 5k/240 NetBSD 1.4.1
> DS 5k/240 Ultrix 4.5
> DS 5k/133 Ultrix 4.5
> and as of last night
> DS 5k/33 NetBSD 1.5
>
> Of all the machines the 33 with 1.5 is slowest, in fact text scrolling
> (I have no X running yet as I want to setup icewm) is bordering on
> unuseable. where did the performance go in 1.5 ?

Overall performance degregation is embrassing these days.  My plan
under desk is, 1) /sys/dev/rasops/ console screen rendering should be
revisited.  Partial word load/store brings read-modify-write memory
traffic.  That hurts speeds visibly.  2) TLB miss handler should be
retooled.  Indeed, pmap.c will be replaced with the new one.

Tohru Nishimura