Subject: 1.5 performance
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Redmond <charlie25@my-deja.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/08/2001 14:42:51
I'm running the following pmax hardware at home:
DS 5k/240 NetBSD 1.4.1
DS 5k/240 Ultrix 4.5
DS 5k/133 Ultrix 4.5
and as of last night
DS 5k/33 NetBSD 1.5

Of all the machines the 33 with 1.5 is slowest, in fact text scrolling
(I have no X running yet as I want to setup icewm) is bordering on unuseable. where did the performance go in 1.5 ?
I would liken it's "feel" to more like a 3100 than a 5000 series!
I have been running NetBSD on a variety of pmax hardware since 1.3.3
and this has to be the slowest box I've ever used.
It's not a hardware issue because the machine used to run Ultrix perfectly acceptably.
I would have expected the 33 to perform similarly to the 133 but currently the 133 running Ultrix can compile pine about twice as fast as the 33!
The 133 has slightly more ram (64 as opposed to 40 MB) but surely that can't account for the difference.
Also, I converted some wav sound files to au format using sox, my sparc 10 plays the resulting au fine but the dec can't. Are there significant differences in the audio hardware between them in terms of capability ?

Thanks
Charles

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/