Subject: Re: rescuing a dec 5100
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/06/2001 02:14:22
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> I've got a decsystem 5100 from trash; it's supposed to work (well, it booted
> ultrix before its boot disk died, about 2 years ago).

Cool :)

> But I've not been able to get anything on the console, so I have a few
> questions:
> - where should I connect the serial console ? There are 3 dec rj11-like
>   connectors, and 1 db25. I tried the rj11-like numbered '1' and the db25.
>   Also, to connect to a PC (NetBSD+tip) should I have a direct or crossed
>   cable ? Are 9000/n/8/1 correct parameters ?

The console is port 3, 9600/8n1.  I can never remember direct or
cross-over, sorry...

> - there are LEDs at the back, especially red ones numbered 0 to 7 (or 1
>   to 8 maybe). Are these diag leds ? How should they look ?

Yes, these are diagnostic LEDs.  From the manual, they're numbered "3210
7654".  Here's the table (yes I should put this on the pmax web pages -
someone remind me please!), where "x" is "don't care":

   LED		Significance
   3210 7654

   1xxx xxxx	System can't write to EEPROM on system module
   0xxx xxxx	System can write to EEPROM on system module

   x1xx xxxx *	maximum baud rate is 9600
   x0xx xxxx *	maximum baud rate is 19200

   xx1x xxxx	32MB module in bank 0
   xx0x xxxx	8MB module in bank 0

   xxx1 xxxx	reset is enabled and halt disabled
   xxx0 xxxx	halt is enabled and reset disabled

   x1xx 1111	initial state at power-up, no code has executed
   x1xx 1110	entered ROM, some instructions have executed
   x1xx 1101	stack tested and set
   x1xx 1100	NXM taken
   x1xx 1011	security initialisation
   x1xx 1010	DZ initialisation
   x1xx 1001	exception tests
   x1xx 1000	FPU test
   x1xx 0111	write buffer test
   x1xx 0101	data cache tag test
   x1xx 0110	instruction cache tag test
   x1xx 0100	TLB test
   x1xx 0011	data cache test
   x1xx 0010	instruction cache test
   x1xx 0001	data cache i-stream test
   x1xx 0000	instruction cache i-stream test

   x0xx 1111	memory bitmap test
   x0xx 1110	memory address test
   x0xx 1101	memory data test
   x0xx 1100	memory moving inversion test
   x0xx 1011	memory data shorts test
   x0xx 1010	RTC tests
   x0xx 1001	DZ tests
   x0xx 1000	SII tests
   x0xx 0111	LANCE tests
   x0xx 0101	EEPROM test
   x0xx 0110	option card test
   x0xx 0100	reserved
   x0xx 0011	console I/O mode
   x0xx 0010	primary boot operation
   x0xx 0001	secondary boot operation
   x0xx 0000	operating system running

* The function of LED 2 during normal operation.  LED 2 has a different
  significance during the diagnostic tests.

Note that I don't think NetBSD frobs the LEDs, so it may we remain at
x0xx 0011 or x0xx 0010 even after a NetBSD kernel has booted.

> I'd like get it working. I already have a vax and alpha, but I lack a
> pmax between them :)

Not the fastest pmax, but AFAIK only the fourth 5100 in the world
to run any free OS :-)

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/