Subject: Re: Netscape
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jared Smolens <jsmolens+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/01/2000 01:56:17
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-pmax: 1-Dec-00 Re: Netscape
by "Iggy Drougge"@canit.se
> There was recently a new port of Mozilla, which was compiled for quite a lot
> of platforms. More would follow, they said. All according to the
newsticker on

> the NetBSD WWW. Has anyone tried to compile it recently, perhaps consulting
> with another porter?

I have been working all week trying to port this from the M18 mozilla
source code release.

I have gotten it to the point where it fully builds (with debugging
information, but striped libraries this is a 1.8GB source tree).
However, it fails in a number of places.  I'm not an official porter,
and I'm just doing this in my spare time.  The build takes almost a day
on a 5000/260, over NFS.

First, NetBSD/pmax's dlopen() returns a bogus file handle to this call:

      dlopen ( 0, RDLD_LAZY )

which causes a codedump when mozilla tries to dlclose() the returned
handle. Apparently that check is in to make sure dlopen() exists.

By ignoring this code for the time being, I get it to load to the
following point (the first two lines are the dlopen problem, with my
snide comment):

failed to initialize shared libraries [Dynamic linker interface not available]
We're a DECstation, ignore that error
Type Manifest File: /space3/mozilla/dist/bin/components/xpti.dat
nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering begins.
nsNativeComponentLoader:
SelfRegisterDll(/space3/mozilla/dist/bin/components/libgklayout.so) Load
FAILED with error: /space3/mozilla/dist/bin/components/libgklayout.so:
Undefined symbol "SizeOf__C11nsLeafFrameP16nsISizeOfHandlerPUi" (reloc
type = 3, symnum = 9853)
nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering succeeded
nNCL: registering deferred (0)
###!!! ASSERTION: failed to get command line service:
'NS_SUCCEEDED(rv)', file nsAppRunner.cpp, line 939
###!!! Break: at file nsAppRunner.cpp, line 939
###!!! ASSERTION: Could not obtain CmdLine processing service
: 'PR_FALSE', file nsAppRunner.cpp, line 942
###!!! Break: at file nsAppRunner.cpp, line 942
CanUnload_enumerate: skipping native
Segmentation fault - core dumped

The linker seems to have problems correctly building shared libraries of
mozilla's size requirements (the linker grows to 112mb in memory when
linking the layout library).  The largest library is well over 100mb
when not stripped.

The final error is attempting to allocate a CmdLineService object, which
processes the command line arguments.  I am trying to track down why
this fails, and if I can get it to work, the rest should be fairly
straightforward (although at this point GDB crashes, and sometimes the
ROM debugger kicks in and the system reboots).  It's ugly.

Cheers,

JCSmolens

                                @@@
                               (o o)