Subject: Re: Dead 3100? Memory interchanging.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Simon Kagstrom <simon@k9m134-1.kam.afb.lu.se>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/30/2000 12:10:01
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> simon.kagstrom.864@student.lu.se wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I recently got a DECstation 3100 w/ exansion box and a 19" VR290-D3
> > monitor. However, when I power it up, not much happens, and the red lights on
> > its back are all glowing. The monitor turns white when I turn it on though. None
> > of the keyboard leds can be turned on.
>
> Doesn't sound too good.  According to
> http://www.diablonet.net/texts/ds3100-info.txt, this means "No response
> from CPU (CPU bad/total system failure)".

Darn! Oh well, I'll just have to stick to one DECstation. Got the 3100 for free
:-)

> [ we probably should add some of that info to our own web pages ]
>
> > Further, I also have a DS5000/120 which I originally planned to connect to the
> > monitor, but of course my frame buffer has another connector, so I couldn't do
> > that. I guess the monitor wonuldn't handle the resolution either.
>
> Depends on the frame buffer.  If it's a PMAG-B then the monitor should
> work on it.  The model number of the frame buffer is on the back of the
> card and is visible from the outside of the box.

Ok. It says PMAG-B on the back of it. So I guess it's an PMAG-B then. Well, then
I'll just have to go hunting for cables.

Is it possible to run X on NetBSD for a DS5000 without keyboard/mouse on the
DECstation? (The keyboard and mouse for the DS3100 has a different connector).

> > Now, to the second question: Is the memory from the DS5000 interchangable with
> > that in theDS3100?
>
> There's two sorts of memory for the 5000 - 2MB and 8MB.  The smaller size
> is what is used in the 3100.  I have no idea what happens if you put the
> 8MB memory in a 3100.

Ok. My 5000 has 32 MB total, in 2MB pairs. So I guess they'd be interchangable
then.

// Simon Kagstrom