Subject: Re: Dead 3100? Memory interchanging.
To: None <simon.kagstrom.864@student.lu.se>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/30/2000 21:57:49
simon.kagstrom.864@student.lu.se wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I recently got a DECstation 3100 w/ exansion box and a 19" VR290-D3
> monitor. However, when I power it up, not much happens, and the red lights on
> its back are all glowing. The monitor turns white when I turn it on though. None
> of the keyboard leds can be turned on.

Doesn't sound too good.  According to
http://www.diablonet.net/texts/ds3100-info.txt, this means "No response
from CPU (CPU bad/total system failure)".

[ we probably should add some of that info to our own web pages ]

> Further, I also have a DS5000/120 which I originally planned to connect to the
> monitor, but of course my frame buffer has another connector, so I couldn't do
> that. I guess the monitor wonuldn't handle the resolution either.

Depends on the frame buffer.  If it's a PMAG-B then the monitor should
work on it.  The model number of the frame buffer is on the back of the
card and is visible from the outside of the box.

> Now, to the second question: Is the memory from the DS5000 interchangable with
> that in theDS3100?

There's two sorts of memory for the 5000 - 2MB and 8MB.  The smaller size
is what is used in the 3100.  I have no idea what happens if you put the
8MB memory in a 3100.

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/