Subject: Re: PROM upgrade for 3MIN...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/25/2000 16:12:31
>> My current PROM version (3MIN, 5000/133) is 'KN02-BA  DEC      V5.7j'
>> doesn't support TFTP boot.  I'd like to upgrade/downgrade to
>> a PROM version that has no known problems with TFTP booting.
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to where I can find such version?
>
> What kind of a chip is the PROM? Is it just a ROM? In that case, why doesn't
> anyone read its contents and burn into an EPROM?
> Or does the PROM contain other electronics?

My MAXINE has a small chip marked S27C251 inside.

I guess and suspect that PROMs of newer DECstations (3MIN/MAXINE/3MAX+)
were upgradable if provided with an appropriate upgrade procedure (or
a special program) like as DEC3000 whose SRM monitor programs were
maintained and upgraded by end users during the product life cycle.

Tohru Nishimura