Subject: Re: PROM upgrade for 3MIN...
To: John Saroglou <johny@yorku.ca>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/23/2000 18:39:49
on 11/23/00 2:51 PM, John Saroglou at johny@yorku.ca wrote something like:

> My current PROM version (3MIN, 5000/133) is 'KN02-BA  DEC      V5.7j'
> doesn't support TFTP boot.  I'd like to upgrade/downgrade to
> a PROM version that has no known problems with TFTP booting.
>
> Can anyone direct me to where I can find such version?

    Not possible. I've been told that PROM upgrades are FRU's. (Field
Replacement Units) This means they are not saleable or available from anyone
other than DEC field service, which no longer exists. So unless you want to
pay $$$ for Compaq to come out and look at your machine, you're probably out
of luck; with the exception of finding another 3MIN board with the right
PROM and stealing it out.

    You seem to be out of luck with software workarounds as MOP for pmax is
apparently broken, and the two-stage netboot loader does not work on 3MIN.
The only thing I can think of is finding the MIPS MOP boot image from Ultrix
and using it to tftp an ECOFF kernel might work.

    Chris