Subject: Re: Network card Question
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Mikael Dalsgard <mikaeld@online.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/17/2000 10:53:07
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp wrote:

> > I have a Decstation 5000/133 at home. I would like to add a second
> > network card so this machine can act as a router/firewall for my new
> > cable modem. I have a few Decstation 5000/25's hanging around. Is it
> > possible to remove the network card from one of them and place it in the
> > 133, or
>
> No, it's impossible.  You need to acquire PMAD-A TURBOchannel Ethernet
> option card (it has AUI connector on back) for an additional network
> interface.

Hi!

I have a question in the same vein. I have a Personal DECstation 5000/25
that I want to use for the same purpose (router/firewall). The NetBSD.org
web-pages mentions a supported PMAD-AA ethernet card, no others.

Nevertheless I took the chance of buying a PMAD-A card which I saw on eBay
recently. Is PMAD-A and PMAD-AA the same thing ? I will be able to put
this card into my maxine ?

For the existing internal card I use an AUI-TP transceiver. I will need
the same thing for my extra card, right ? This so I can order it right
away and have it ready for use when my PMAD arrives. The transceivers are
quite expensive here in Norway (>$30) so I don't want to order one if I
can't use the new card or the interface is not the same as the internal
one.

Mikael