Subject: Re: DEC 5000/260 support?
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Paul Whittaker <paw@si1.dod.gov.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/16/2000 11:07:01
Chris wrote:

> on 11/15/00 12:07 PM, Chuck McManis at cmcmanis@mcmanis.com wrote something
> like:
[snip]
> > 3) Is there an external marking on the memory and/or what is the prom
> > command to identify memory (sho mem?)
>
> [snip] To my knowledge there is no way to
> tell which memory module is which, as they don't carry anything but the DEC
> 54xxxx... part number. Easiest thing to do is cnfg 3 and it'll tell you what
> size the modules are. (Have to be all 8 or all 32, no intermixing [yet].)

The "cnfg 3" command will only show what the PROM believes is present,
which may not match reality if someone has been fiddling.

You can determine the capacity of the SIMM from the access speed of the
memory chips on it.  If they are 100ns (chip ID ends in "-10") then it's
an 8Mb SIMM.  If they are 80ns or 70ns (chip ID ends in "-80" or "-70")
then it's a 32Mb SIMM.  There are also different DEC part numbers,
(A01... vs A02...) but the part number is on a sticker and on occasion I
have found some mislabelled 32 Mb SIMMs, so I wouldn't trust these.

The rule with intermixing 32 Mb and 8 Mb SIMMs is that if 32 Mb SIMMs
are present then only a sinlge 8 Mb SIMM may be fitted, and only in the
highest slot number (14).  As far as I am aware this is a
hardware/firmware limitation and nothing to do with the O/S you are
running.

| Paul Whittaker                       | % make
love                        |
| Datasmith and Network Sculptor       | make: Fatal error: Don't know
how  |
| Email: paw@si1.dod.gov.au            | to make target
`love'              |