Subject: Re: Update: Re: DEC 5000/260 support?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/15/2000 19:24:04
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:

> Ok, thanks everyone I got it powered up, and found some more "SIMMs" for it
> (aka Giant Memory boards but not so big as my VAXen :-) and it things it
> has 224MB of RAM and a PMAGB-BA video interface. The SCSI and ethernet are
> the PMAZ and PMAD ones and appear to be supported as well.
>
> Now an interesting question, I removed the frame buffer, got to the serial
> console, and typed "setenv console s" and re-installed the framebuffer.
> When it POSTs the frame buffer complains about a "red screen test" and then
> the >> prompt appears. Doing a cnfg 0 shows the buffer, what is this error
> and should I worry about it?

	I've seen this when no monitor is connected.

This is what I think happens:

	That means that there is no 75 Ohm termination on the red video
output. There is (at least on red) a comparator on the RAMDAC output. The
PROM monitor on the PMAGB-B enables the red output current, checks if the
comparator bit is set (too high output voltage = no termination) and
complains. If you connect a monitor (or better yet pull the framebuffer if
you are not using it) you will not get that error...

> Do I need to spoof the mouse to get this to boot?
>
> --Chuck

Peter Wallace