Subject: RE: PDP-11 thoughts
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/2000 14:31:49

> Linux is more modern in the meaning that it was written later. Not any
> other claims on modernity that I know of... :-)

 yeah.. in anything but chronological terms, linux is quite backwards.

> And do you really think the Linux people have any chance of getting that
> bloat to fit on a PDP-11?

 sure. I'm quite confident that many PDP11's have or had disks big enough
to hold a linux kernel. I'm sure that one could even fit a fully bootable
and runnable 6th edition filesystem _inside_ most modern linux kernels
and not have many people even notice!! I'm sure that this PDP11 has
enough memory for the linux kernel to, for example, run printk and tell
you that it's out of memory.

> > 	Personally, I'd leave 2.11 on the PDP and concentrate on NetBSD
> > 	on a vax or similar :)
>
> Definitely.

Ditto.

Isildur