Subject: RE: PDP-11 thoughts
To: Ken Seefried <kseefried@DigitalMoJo.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/2000 17:13:39
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Ken Seefried wrote:

> Not NetBSD, but depending on the model, it could run 2.x BSD.  I am under
> the impression that there is a free hobbyist license for this now.
>
> There are a number of more or less "interesting" (e.g. likely
> insurmountable) problems with porting NetBSD to the PDP, ranging from 16-bit
> only architecture, small address space (16-, 18- or, if lucky 22-bit), MMU
> with a tiny number of 8K pages, etc.  Perhaps picoBSD would be a better
> place to start.

	AFAIK picoBSD is just a standard FreeBSD kernel with a specific
	set of hardware support and a very specifically targetted small
	userland.

	If you _really_ want to put a more modern OS onto the box
	you could start with ELKS (The Embeddable Linux Kernel Subset) at
		http://www.elks.ecs.soton.ac.uk/intro.php3

	Personally, I'd leave 2.11 on the PDP and concentrate on NetBSD
	on a vax or similar :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --