Subject: my BETA2 install notes
To: port-pmax list NetBSD <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/2000 19:18:28
I am installing on a DecStation 5000/200 which I took home when it was
let go at the local uni.  The last NetBSD install I did was on my
equally progressive pc532, and the procedure was very different. So I
consider myself an absolute beginner (and rightly so).

I installed the first BETA using dhcp/tftp. This time I decided to
start from my working system.

1 - "installing from an existing system"

Being very new to BSD, the following phrase was unclear:

"With new NetBSD bootblocks or using the Ultrix bootloader, you can
boot the kernel located in:"

I finally figured that if I decompress it:
	gzip -dc install.gz >/install
then the boot loader finds it. I would add such a one-liner to the
install doc.

I do not know if this is the corret procedure - a clarification will
not be wasted here.

2 - ftp install menu
When it asked me where the packages should be [/usr/INSTALL] I
set it to /pub, [mis]understanding it to be the ftp source directory.
Of course, the following install run out of space on / very soon.
Maybe a clear statement as to the fact that it is the local directory
we refer to will be usefull.

3 - naturally I had to repeat the install. This time I noticed that
a number of defaults were not anymore what I entered, for example
the ftp directory was not what I set it to (/pub), and neither was it
the
original (on the NetBSD ftp server) directory.

4 - the arrow keys do not work (they did for the first BETA). Maybe
the default console type changed, I have a 5k/200 with a PMAG-C. This
was not a problem since I could use the shortcut letters, but no such
luck
on the timezone selection menu. I manages somehow though.

5 - the password setting was showing the typed password. This may be
related to using the wrong console type?

6 - I really want to use X, but X cannot open /dev/fb0. I guess I
need an xserver that uses /dev/px0? The directory
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc
that is mentioned in the install doc is still missing.

It also has a link to xfree86 - is it relevant to the pmax?

7 - A general note. For someone meeting a pmax for the first time it
will
be of great help to be told that F11 serves as the Esc key. Not strictly
an install step but I had to figure it during the first NetBSD install.
I use ^[ for a while and it was not much fun...

--
Eyal Lebedinsky		(eyal@eyal.emu.id.au)