Subject: Re: DECsystem 5400 and NetBSD?????
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/03/2000 08:46:25
At 09:16 AM 11/3/2000 -0500, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>I just fell heir to a very nice DECsystem 5400 crate.  It is not a VAX,
>and it is not a MIPS, exactly, but a bit of both.  Can such a crate be
>coerced into running NetBSD?  It is kindof like a MIPS box crunched to
>fit onto a Qbus backplane and BA2xx box.  Any suggestions, pointers to
>getting some sort of NetBSD on this critter (or even which Ultrix for
>starters), are appreciated.

Almost anything can be coerced into running NetBSD. :)

Actually, the DS5400 has a onboard LANCE configured like the DS3100/5100
(since they are of the same era) and the console is a standard DZ lookalike.
So there shouldn't a lot of work to make it boot diskless.  After that,
then work on the Qbus support.  Undoubtably, there will alignment problem
and other VAXism in the current code.

Any version of ULTRIX after V4.0 will work.  In fact, that'd be useful
to see what ULTRIX thinks is in the machine.