Subject: pmin fb, tk50 and magma questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: None <tk97el12.technis.syh@technis.syh.fi>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/26/2000 21:28:11
Hi,

I have just added a DS2100 to my little collection of DEC hardware.
It has a mono framebuffer, VFB01. I installed netbsd 1.4.1
from scratch, and when I start X only the twm's frames are visible.
Everything else is invisible. How can I configure X to use only 1 bit color?

Is it possible to change to a VFB02 and get 8 bit color? Does anyone
have spare ones? Then I'd need some other monitor cable, right?

Can I use a "TZ30" drive (and tk50 tapes) with netbsd and what would
the device be if prom says tz6, netbsd tz1? Should I use tar or
something else for storing on tapes?

I also tried to boot from an  ULTRIX installation tape from 1991
with the drive but this rebooted my DS5000/260 after about 5 minutes.
I tried two different drives.

>> boot 3/tz6

KN05 V2.1k etc.

Is it really so bad that tk50 tapes get erased within 9 years? The
tapes have been well stored in a bombshelter probably with a constant
temp at ca +22 degrees celcius (roomtemp). At least a DLT tape should
last 30 years so I wonder if the old ultrix installation media is
useless (and probably all other ultrix programs on these tapes) or
if my drives are broken.

I found a "magma 8+2" card in a DS5000/200. I also have the
adapter. It has 8 serialports and two parallellports. Could this
card ever be used with netbsd? I found a tk50 tape with ultrix
drivers also.

 Any comments are welcome!

Joachim Buss.