Subject: Re: installing 1.5alpha2 on 5k/200
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/25/2000 14:25:58
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Darren Reed wrote:

> I attempted to install NetBSD/pmax 1.5A2 on a 5k/200 today...and had some
> "interesting" experiences with sysinst failing to get the disk geometry.

  Hmm, I just started a sysinst session on my 5000/200, and it picked
up the proper 200M size for the RZ24 that still has Ultrix installed.

> The disk had an Ultrix FFS disk label on it, which I thought would be like
> the SunOS4 one and "just work".  Not so.  Even worse, the information
> which was there seemed to confuse sysinst and instead of detecting a 634MB
> HDD, I got a 4MB HDD, with one partition being -127 sectors in size at
> offset 129 (or similar).  In contrast, checking /kern/msgbuf, it was
> clear that it had been probed correctly.
>
> This was the first time NetBSD had been introduced to this computer.

  Are you netbooting the install kernel, or did you dd the diskimage to
the disk and boot the install kernel from the diskimage?

  I think there is a problem with using the diskimage - the magic code
that detects booting from a diskimage is broken, and the disk geometry
from the diskimage label is being used.  I think the diskimage size is
4MB, which would match what you are seeing.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant