Subject: Re: VR290??
To: Scott Horton <bighorton@home.com>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/19/2000 16:09:00
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Scott Horton wrote:

> I don't have a lot of hope for this one, but thought I'd ask.
>
> I have a 5000/240 that I picked up, and have been messing with for a little
> while.  Had to get cables, found and old CD-ROM drive that would be
> compatible, etc. etc., I'm sure the list is familiar with this old dance...
> :)
>
> Now the problem.  It came with a 16" monitor, which worked for about 5 days
> (long enough to get me fully interested) then died.  I currently have a pair
> of good DEC VR290-DA monitors that came with a VAXStation, one of which I
> could use for this instead, except that the PMAGB-BA in the machine isn't
> compatible.  I've done a little looking, without success, for something to
> make this work.
>
> So - the question:  Is there a way (a card, a modification to the PMAGB) to
> make one of these VR290's work with the DS5000/240, or am I just basically
> SOL?

Dont know if NetBSDs driver supports it but if you replace the PMAGB-BAs
OSC1 (119MHZ) with a 69 MHz oscillator and install the OSC jumper, the
video clock will be right for the VR290. (This makes your card a PMAG-BX,
dont know what X is) This works with Ultrix, not so sure about NetBSD.

Alternatively I could send you a PMAG-B... (he said, looking at a pile of
6 or so)

> P.S. - to Megan: the Keyboard/Mouse cable worked fine - Thanks!
>
> Scott Horton
> 111 E. Forest Ave
> Columbia, MO 65203
> bighorton@home.com