Subject: Re: novice need more help
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/10/2000 15:00:56
| By the way the message is:
|
| >>boot 3/tftp
| ?IO 3/tftp bootp tmuot
|
| I have a Unixware 7.0 to help me in this odisea.

REX PROM broadcasted BOOTP request, and got no response.  The possible
causes would be;
    - bootpd was not active
	check and see /etc/inetd.conf description and what netstat -a reports.

    - bootpd has neglected the request
	check and see ha= field in /etc/bootptab is valid.

Here is the description of netboot process;

	[1] PROM broatcasts BOOTP request.
	[2] bootpd receives it and send a reply after checking its MAC
	    address matchs to any of ha=.
	[3] the reply contains various value.  Requestor indentifies its own
	    IP addresss, the name of loading file and where to send TFTP load
	    request.

		bf=  the name of netbooting file
		hd=  the directory name where netbooting file resides
		     (if tftp makes "chroot" to /tftpboot, this is uncessary)
		sa=  TFTP server IP address
		     (I'm not sure PROM honours.  If not exists,
		      requestor assumes the responder as its TFTP server)

	[4] after rather lengthy TFTP loading dialogues, kernel obtains
	    control and starts boot process.

	[5] finally, the kernel sends one BOOTP request again; besides
	    trivial network parameters like its own IP address, subnetmask
	    and gateway, it determines root directory consulting rp= field.
	    It's the directory NFS server exports for the netbooting
	    DECstation.

Tohru Nishimura