Subject: Re: Status of 5100
To: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/09/2000 12:55:00
John Hayward wrote:

> > Are you able to test the 1.5 ALPHA2 snaphost on a 5100?  I don't have
> > access to these beasties anymore, but AFAIK it should work.  If you can
> > double check this, I'll make sure the release notes get amended.
>
> Initially I had trouble when I tried to use the external disk for my
> DecSystem 3100.  But I discovered that there may be some incompatibility
> with the "scsi" drives for between the 5100 and 3100.  I could not boot
> Ultrix on the 5100 with the storage expansion which worked with my 3100
> and I could not boot NetBSD on my 3100 with an external disk which was
> on my 5100.
>
> I tried booting Ultrix on the 5100 then copying the disk image to on of
> the Ultrix drives.
>
> I could then boot netbsd and went thru the install process.

This sounds a little wierd.  At my old job I was regularly using the
same external disk box on both a 3100 and a 5100...

> The install appeared to go ok.

Cool!

> I have not done anything significant on the machine yet.
>
> When I was switching the console between the two machines one time when
> I cam back to the 5100 I saw a db> prompt.  I typed continue and it
> presented me with the login prompt.

This will happen whenever the console driver sees a "break" and then
drops you into the kernel.  Now, it just so happens that moving a cable
at the wrong time can cause a break.

One solution to this is to actually disable entry to ddb from console
with:

	sysctl -w ddb.fromconsole=0

> I have also seen at the boot prompt
> bad mem xxxxxxxx a few times so maybe these are related.

This is unrelated.  If you could copy the exact error message we should
be able to make more sense of it.

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/