Subject: Install Notes - existing system
To: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/06/2000 18:09:30
> I'll have some more comments on the install notes later.

When trying to install ALPHA2 on a 3100 I tried "install from an
existing system".

I had an Ultrix system which booted off of rz0a.  There was not
enough room for the uncompressed "install" file on the "a" partition.
I copied it to rz2c and tried to boot off of rz2c {rz(0,2,0)}.
There was some error message (sorry I didn't write it down) about
boot blocks.

Next I copied install to the rz0d (where /usr was mounted) and
tried to boot off of rz0d {rz(0,0,3)} and got a similar error.

I guess I could have figured out in Ultrix how to write out boot
blocks for the rz2 drive and tried to boot off of rz(0,2,0).

I guess I could have tried to boot off on drive 2 to specify partition 2.

Can you boot off of a partition other than "a" (0)?

Do the Ultrix boot loader work on 1.5_ALPHA2 (elf issue???)?

I was able to use the "install via diskimage" to install ALPHA2 on both
3100 and a 5100.

johnh...