Subject: Re: Boot problem on 5000/125
To: Franco Tassone <tfranco@taormina-ol.it>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/14/2000 08:36:01
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Franco Tassone wrote:

> Chris Tribo wrote:
>
> >         Installed manually with Tar/pax or did you use sysinst?
>
> I used sysinst.
<snip>
> I used the install.ecoff to tftp, unzipped it and followed the INSTALL file for
> tftp + ftp install method.
> Tryed once again the installation, same result.
> One question: I mounted the disk on another netbsd nachine and saw the "boot"
> file on the root directory in /dev/rz0a, so I would expect to boot using
> something like 3/rz0a/netbsd, but it gives me error.
> Perhaps my 1080 Mb IBM disk is not suitable for this machine ?
> On my microvax 3100 no hd > 1G supported for boot, same limitation for
> ds500/125 ?

	Yes, the root file system cannot be >1 GB on DECstations either
(well if you want to boot from it). That's probably what messes up
Installboot when it goes to write the boot blocks. See if 1023MB root
partition or smaller works. There is no limitation on the size of the
actual disk itself if that's what you mean.
	You also don't use boot 3/rz0a/netbsd. You need boot 3/rz0/netbsd
from the >> I haven't fooled with the first stage booter in awhile, but
just boot 3/rz0/netbsd -a should do the trick from >> without any other
intervention.

	Hope that helps.

	Chris