Subject: Re: Startup with 5000/125 (was Newbye on 5000/125)
To: Franco Tassone <tfranco@taormina-ol.it>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/08/2000 13:08:49
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Franco Tassone wrote:

> Didn't find any dtr/dsr option.
> Tryed used win95 hyperteminal, same result.

	Well unfortunately these programs are designed for working with
modems and not other computers. Normally computers raise DTR on the recipt
of a CD signal from the modem. Well there is no CD signal coming from the
DECstation because it isn't a modem. Hence DTR never goes high, and the
DECstation won't talk to you. Some other programs that might work are
Reflections 4 (or higher) and maybe RIPterm if you can find it. You might
also look for an option called Use DTR hangup or DTR high on DSR instead
of DTR high on CD or some such.

> I' connected the pc using a db25 terminal cable (it is working, I'm sure) with
> a db25->db9 adapter, for the pc connection.
> No keyboard, no video connected to the ds5000.
> What do you think about ?

	No video connected or no video card installed in the machine. I'm
saying you need to remove any video card from the slot before the machine
will go to serial console.

	Chris