Subject: Re: Booting DECstation 5000/125 from ISO-cd (more infos needed)
To: Avalon <avalon@gmx.li>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/30/2000 08:43:40
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Avalon wrote:

<snip>
> mounting the cd with Ultrix  'mount -r -t cdfs /dev/rz4c /mnt' e.g.
> and other varations ends in "Operation not supported"

	Hmm that is rather odd. Perhaps try mounting it read only -ro
instead of -r? Sure it is cdfs (ISO9660) and not UFS (ffs)? [I've never
seen/used the ISO you refer to] It could also be that there is more than
one partition type and mounting rz4c might not work. Try some of the other
letters.

> i read about the 512byte <-> 2048byte problem, and my cdrom has got a
> jumper to switch between 512 <-> 2048, but then the cdr isn
> recognized by DEC/ultrix.

	This shouldn't matter. I've burned bootable Ultrix CD's in both
512 byte and 2048 byte modes, so I think as long as you have a DEC CDROM
you should be fine...

> Then i read here and here a little with boot_xx9660(?) and
> installboot, but couldn't find a detailed configuration/installation,

	Installboot lives in /usr/mdec, there *should* be man pages for it
on the NetBSD main website. Simon Burge has a list/FAQ of what and how to
make a bootable ISO for pmax, but I don't know where it is.

> maybe i can find a floppy for the decstation, how to boot from that ?

	Only if you can find a SCSI floppy drive, and unless it's a 2.88MB
one, I don't think we currently have a disk boot image that is small
enough to fit on a floppy. (though someone could probably hack one
together for you)

> i am working at this problem for weeks now, but until yet without
> success 8-]

	Ick, well try grabbing the diskboot image from the Install
directory on the NetBSD ftp site and dd it to the HD, then you can boot
into the install kernel. Then all you would need is the binary install
sets on an ISO-9660 CDROM. Well get you there one way or another :)

	Chris