Subject: Re: Serial Console problems on a 5000/133
To: John Taylor <jhtaylor@wam.umd.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/29/2000 09:52:07
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, John Taylor wrote:

>   Despite all the fact that my serial setup was working (and still is, oddly
> enough) on a 5000/200, messing around with the flow control got me my serial
> console on the 5000/133.  It's now happily running a headless install,
> although I can't exactly call it fast. :)

	Well try stepping it up to 38400, the SCC's are supposed to be
able to handle it...

>   Incidentally, despite what the web site claims, the V5.7j NVRAM tftp'd just
> fine from my linux box.  My apologies for calling it a PROM earlier; I tend to
> relapse into Sun terms every now and then.

	Just to clairify, I think PROM or probably more correctly SRM
would describe the system monitor, NVRAM is only where the system settings
are stored. (bootpath, console, etc.) The PROM's which can tftp boot is
largely outdated from what I've been told. The ones on the NetBSD page are
mostly accurate for 1.3 and 1.4.1. I don't think we even have a record of
the 5.7j on our page... oh well.

	Chris