Subject: Re: Serial Console problems on a 5000/133
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: John Taylor <jhtaylor@wam.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/29/2000 01:05:56
> > but I still can't use the console.  I know my serial lines are set up right,
> > because the line is working on a 5000/200 I also picked up (PROM V5.3c).

> it? That being the case, check that you have XON/XOFF flow control,
> 9600-N-8-1, and a DTR/DSR handshake (RS-232C modem control or equiv.)

  Despite all the fact that my serial setup was working (and still is, oddly
enough) on a 5000/200, messing around with the flow control got me my serial
console on the 5000/133.  It's now happily running a headless install,
although I can't exactly call it fast. :)

  Incidentally, despite what the web site claims, the V5.7j NVRAM tftp'd just
fine from my linux box.  My apologies for calling it a PROM earlier; I tend to
relapse into Sun terms every now and then.

Thanks for the help,
John