Subject: Re: Serial Console problems on a 5000/133
To: John Taylor <jhtaylor@wam.umd.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/28/2000 08:50:20
On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, John Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm trying to get serial console on a 5000/133, PROM version V5.7j.  I know
> the machine works, because it at one point booted an old Ultrix install. After
> pulling the video card, all I get out the serial port is this:
>
> KN02-BA V5.7j
<snip>

>    ,plus assorted other testing information (everything passes).  Then it
> locks, all LED's dark.  I've reset the PROM data to the default with the
> jumper, and I built my own terminator to short out the Keyboard and Mouse
> TX&RX.  When I put on the terminator, the keyboard and mouse errors go away,
> but I still can't use the console.  I know my serial lines are set up right,
> because the line is working on a 5000/200 I also picked up (PROM V5.3c).

	The impression you're giving me is that nothing is wrong. If you
reset the NVRAM, the machine is not going to autoboot or even have the
right boot environment as it will be empty. If you're getting >> and all
the Diag LED's are off, then you should be ready to go. Can you do a cnfg
at the >> or are you saying that the system won't let you type anything to
it? That being the case, check that you have XON/XOFF flow control,
9600-N-8-1, and a DTR/DSR handshake (RS-232C modem control or equiv.)

>    Since I don't have a keyboard or mouse, the PMIN is useless to me w/o the
> serial console.  Since I flashed the PROM, it also no longer autoboots to
> Ultrix, so right now it's just a brick.  Any ideas are appreciated.
> Thanks,

	Would you mind explaining to me exactly how and with what you
flashed the PROM?

	Chances are that you'll have to reinstall Ultrix if memory serves
because it will still try to start X on the local console even though you
removed the FB. (and TTYS aren't set right, etc.) but you should be able
to get to single user mode ok.

	Hope that helps,

	Chris