Subject: Serial Console problems on a 5000/133
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: John Taylor <jhtaylor@wam.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/27/2000 20:37:34
Hi,
  I'm trying to get serial console on a 5000/133, PROM version V5.7j.  I know
the machine works, because it at one point booted an old Ultrix install. After
pulling the video card, all I get out the serial port is this:

KN02-BA V5.7j

3/misc/kbd

?STF (4: Ln#0 Kbd self test)

3/misc/mouse

?STF (4: Ln#1 Pntr self test)

   ,plus assorted other testing information (everything passes).  Then it
locks, all LED's dark.  I've reset the PROM data to the default with the
jumper, and I built my own terminator to short out the Keyboard and Mouse
TX&RX.  When I put on the terminator, the keyboard and mouse errors go away,
but I still can't use the console.  I know my serial lines are set up right,
because the line is working on a 5000/200 I also picked up (PROM V5.3c).
   Since I don't have a keyboard or mouse, the PMIN is useless to me w/o the
serial console.  Since I flashed the PROM, it also no longer autoboots to
Ultrix, so right now it's just a brick.  Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
John Taylor