Subject: Re: What CPU is it ??
To: Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E4rwolff?= <Michael.Baerwolff@lycosmail.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/22/2000 22:27:57
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Michael B=E4rwolff wrote:

> Around there are placed some smaller quadratic chips -> cache.
> Near the connector is a  printed "KN02DA".

=09Yes those are Cache chips. I don't remember any of the personal
DECstation CPU modules coming in Ceramic (with gold as you mentioned), but
in any case, this is *probably* a newer revison of the 33 MHz R3000 CPU
module as was mentioned earlier. Looking at
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms
I don't see this particular PROM revision listed anywhere, which doesn't
mean that it's never been seen, just that you may or may not be able to
tftp boot it over the network. =20
=20
> Further there is a PXG+ -board inside. Is it supported in NetBSD 1.4.1??

=09IIRC 1.4.1 does not support PX/PXG at all. I think 1.4.2 or later
has console mode support and I know -current and 1.5Alpha do. However, the
install kernels do *not* have PX/PXG support, so you'll have to switch to
the internal PMAG-DV FB or use a serial console. There is no X11 support
for PX/PXG as of yet. Hopefully it'll be merged into 1.5 or -current
soon. (Beware that trying to start X on a PX/PXG card will panic the
machine)
=20
> My last question is : What is the easiest way to install NetBSD on a
> DecStation without a floppy disk drive. I have HDD's, MOD, CD-ROM, ZIP
> and DAT.

=09Even if you had a floppy drive it wouldn't get you anywhere. DEC
(in it's infinite wisdom) didn't make the floppy drive bootable in the
Personal DECstations FWIW. SCSI ZIP, DEC MOD or external Hard drives are
equally easy. Just make sure you have your termination set properly and
that the ZIP drive is the last device in the chain. You should be able to
just dd/rawwrite(DOS)/suntar(Mac) the diskboot image to the ZIP, edit the
disklabel and newfs to add another partition and copy the .tgz files you
need to the ZIP drive if you have the sets downloaded on a local
machine. Or the sysinst program can fetch them by FTP/NFS/or other local
media.

=09Chris