Subject: Dead RAID
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/21/2000 13:55:51
I have a RAID 5 on a 5000/240 running NetBSD/-pmac -current 1.4U built
as of March 10th.  The RAID 5 consisted of three 406 MB RZ25s, sd1, sd2,
and sd3.  The sd2 drive died (I wasn't there, so I don't know what
caused the failure.)

I have two of the three RAID 5 drives still working, but whenever I do
anything that accesses the RAID set, e.g., raidctl -s raid0, the system
panics with a TLB miss and the system reboots.

Do I need to put another sd2 drive in before trying to see the state of
the RAID?  It was my impression that it could at least limp along in
degraded mode before the entire RAID became unusable.  AFAIK, the parity
was clean up until the drive death, as I put in a "raidctl -P raid0"
into the /etc/daily script, and always remember it reporting clean.

Anyone have any advice?  I can likely get another drive (a 634 MB
RZ56) to reconstruct onto, or maybe even dredge up another RZ25.

Are the panics due to not having an sd2, or is it a kernel problem?

Cheers,

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa