Subject: Re: 5000/240 now works
To: None <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/23/2000 00:25:15
on 7/22/00 11:57 PM, Brian Hechinger at wonko@users.tmok.com wrote something
like:

> well, it turns out that having the PRESTOserve card plugged in is what was
> causing the machine to panic.  i find this odd since the install.ecoff kernel
> that i installed with worked fine.  anyway, i think that "not supported" and
> "will cause your system to panic if plugged in" are two entirely different
> things and should be documented as such.

    It does not cause my system to panic if it is in slot 15, I'm using a
5k/240 with one in it right next to me. Perhaps you're card or memory slot
is broken, I dunno.

<snip>

> X even works without a hitch.  which brings up the point, is the accelerated
> portion of the Xserver scheduled to be MFCed from /alpha any time soon?
> i have one problem with the video console however, and it isn't a big thing,
> just mildly annoying.  everything goes about 1/8-1/4" past the left of the
> usable screen cutting off the first character of every line.  with X this is
> even less of a problem, but i'm curious how this can be fixed.

    This is/has been midly discussed in the thread PMAGB-B scrolling...
but basically, when someone decides to do/try it.

> now i need to clean the keyboard so the space bar works right (without having
> to pound it a couple times to get a space)

    LoL, well just be glad you don't have an AccessBus LK501 :)

    Chris