Subject: Re: PMAGB-B Scrolling/Clearing
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/2000 09:16:29
>> Is this for real?? Actualy, what I really miss is the fast scrolling of
>> the old Ultrix Xws (?) X server - it was great!!
>
> SFB accelerated X11 server was never been written so far.  It's depressing
> to know that Digital did not include their hardware accelerated portion of
> Xserver code in standard MIT distribution.

Of course, it can be done.  Read following documents with great care,
play hacking and enjoy X server.

  - WRL Research Reports 91/1
        Writing Fast X Servers for Dumb Color Frame Buffers

  - WRL Research Report 93/1
        A Smart Frame Buffer

  - A Smart Frame Buffer
        presentation for Hot Chips 91

  - The Smart Frame Buffer Goes Hollywood: 3D and TV
        presentation of Hot Chips 94

  - DECchip 21130
    PCI Integrated Graphics and Video Accelerator
    Technical Reference Manual  EC-QD2QC-TE

  - Faster Hardware, Smarter Code
    Optimizing X for Graphics Accelerators
        available in TriAdd/ directory of gatekeeper.dec.com

I have all in PDF format.

Tohru Nishimura