Subject: Re: OT - Ultrix on DECstation help
To: Philip Tait <pjt@phxase.allied.com>
From: Charles Redmond <charlie25@my-Deja.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/2000 15:50:17

Hi,

>I recall reading that non-DEC CD-ROM drives work OK if they can be set to 512 bytes/sector - you seem to have that covered.

(-:

>I also recall that Ultrix is pretty picky on SCSI id numbers for specific devices - I think it likes the installation CD to be at id 4.

Guess what, mine was id4 by accident! (-:

>If I were in your situation, I would review my SCSI bus cabling and termination meticulously, checking every jumper option from the disk manuals.
>In my 10-year experience with DECstations, this has been the cause of 95%  of SCSI-related problems.
I have done so. I even did an install where the cdrom was the only device on the bus and it paniced at the same point, with the same problem. I have even used other toshiba cdroms and even other decstations, I tried a 5000/200.
I have given up going this route.
I have used setld to install the base software
onto a 3000/400 running Tru64 version 5 and hope to install the box via ris. I have substituted a 5k/200 for the 5k/240 since the 240 does not do tftp.
Now I have to go post to the dec/alpha managers list about why the decstation is not booting via ris.. )-:
Thank god installing netbsd on the other boxes was easier!
Thanks to all that replied.

Charles

Before you buy.