Subject: Re: OT - Ultrix on DECstation help
To: None <charlie25@my-Deja.com>,
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/2000 00:17:34
on 7/19/00 10:35 PM, Charles Redmond at charlie25@my-Deja.com wrote
something like:

> Hi,
> This is off topic for NetBSD but is relative to DECstations...
> I have an Ultrix 4.5 CD I want to install on to a 5k/250 that has the prom
> version that won't tftp netbsd..

    There's always MOP since you appear to have a VAX.

> I have connected up a sun/toshiba cdrom drive that came from a Sparc 5.
> This cdrom installs Ultrix 4.4 Vax fine.

    It's probably the exact same drive DEC used, just with a different
firmware.

> When booting the 5k/240, ultrixboot and the install process starts
> It fails with a scsi cam error when the list of installable devices comes up.
> I suspect the reason for the failure is that the system sees the cd as an rz

    No that's not it. IIRC all SCSI devices except tapes get called rz.

> device not an RRD like a DEC cdrom and is switching (and failing)
> from 512 bytes per block to the 1024 bytes per block used for hard disks.

    I'm fairly certain you must have your HD formatted with 512 byte blocks
in order to use Ultrix or NetBSD on it. If that isn't the case (someone
check me on that), it would seem that you're getting the CAM when Ultrix is
trying to access the HD. I would check that the SCSI ID is unique (and not 6
or 7) and your termination settings. The chain needs to be terminated at the
end only since it is internally terminated at the other end on the MB. IF
the HD is not the last device, you should have the terminating resistor paks
(if any) removed or disabled and the (usually) two jumpers for Termination
power to bus and term. power to resistors disabled.

> As alternative to buying another cdrom dirve, can anyone recommend a way to dd

    There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the CDROM, so that
wouldn't get you anywhere.

> the Ultrix cd to tape or anoterh hard disk and make that bootable?

    Should be possible if they are 512 byte-block formatted and dd'd, never
tried anything like that before and I have no experience with tape drives.

    Hope that helps,

    Chris