Subject: Re: OT - Ultrix on DECstation help
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Charles Redmond <charlie25@my-Deja.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/19/2000 22:08:08
Hi,
>    There's always MOP since you appear to have a VAX.

I was very disappointed in NetBSD Vax 1.3.3. So much so I swapped my second 3100M30 for a VT420.
I don't have the space for it either since I have 3 DECstations already running NetBSD pmax, a Sparc running Solaris 8, a Sparc running OpenBSD and a alpha running Digital Unix 3.2.

>    It's probably the exact same drive DEC used, just with a different
>firmware.
It's not. It's a half  height drive that fits into the internal Sparc 5 slots.

>    No that's not it. IIRC all SCSI devices except tapes get called rz.

Well in the message for scsi cam there is a message listed that the bytes per block for the id of cdrom is wrong. This cdrom is a 512 bytes per block drive since that drive boots Solaris 2.5.1 fine and that os requires 512 bytes per block as well. only later versions of Solaris have dispensed with that need.

>> device not an RRD like a DEC cdrom and is switching (and failing)
>> from 512 bytes per block to the 1024 bytes per block used for hard disks.
>
>    I'm fairly certain you must have your HD formatted with 512 byte blocks
>in order to use Ultrix or NetBSD on it. If that isn't the case (someone
>check me on that), it would seem that you're getting the CAM when Ultrix is
>trying to access the HD. I would check that the SCSI ID is unique (and not 6
>or 7) and your termination settings. The chain needs to be terminated at the
>end only since it is internally terminated at the other end on the MB. IF
>the HD is not the last device, you should have the terminating resistor paks
>(if any) removed or disabled and the (usually) two jumpers for Termination
>power to bus and term. power to resistors disabled.

The disk is an RZ58. No resistors to remove.
The scis id's are different as I have checked that from the cnfg command on the prom.
My other reason for going with Ultrix is that there are two PMAGC-CA's nstalled and netbsd does not support dual screen yet.

>    There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the CDROM, so that
>wouldn't get you anywhere.
I will attach anoterh disk and try that as well as trying with no hdd and see how far that gets.
I am also going to try to borrow an RRD cdrom from an alpha XL233 at work.
Buried in my dim memory I can remember on the decstation-managers list that only certain brands and models of cdrom were explicitly listed in the Ultrix source as installable cd devices. Perhaps that is my issue.

>    Should be possible if they are 512 byte-block formatted and dd'd, never
>tried anything like that before and I have no experience with tape drives.

The problem for me is that there are seperate
filesystems on the cd and the bytes per block varies on each filesystem. It's not one consistent size. (man setld indicates this on Ultrix).

Given this is off topic, thanks for the help.

Charles

Before you buy.