Subject: Re: netbooting progress
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/17/2000 11:37:20
Aaron J. Grier drunkenly mumbled...
> > OLD-BROADCAST -> BROADCAST    DHCP/BOOTP BOOTREQUEST
> > blackhole.arkham.net -> BROADCAST    DHCP/BOOTP BOOTREPLY
> > fred.arkham.net -> blackhole.arkham.net TFTP Read "/tftpboot/netbsd" (octet)
> > blackhole.arkham.net -> fred.arkham.net ICMP Destination unreachable (UDP port 6
> > 9 unreachable)
>
> dhcp only tells the client who it is and where it can get its kernel --
> you need to also set up tftpd on the server so the client can download
> its kernel.
>
> check /etc/inetd.conf and make sure tftpd is enabled.  see the inetd(8)
> and tftpd(8) man pages.  tftp(1) can also be quite handy.

well don't i feel like the heel.  i thought i still had the tftp server enabled
from when i was goofing around with my ds3100, but i outsmarted myself and
disabled it due to my shabby site security.  *sigh*

so now that the tftp server is running....  *cough cough, sorry*

i get the same as before on the snoop, minus the ICMP line.  i also see this
in my messages file:

Jul 15 02:04:33 blackhole tftpd[3095]: [ID 464510 daemon.error] socket (delay):
Protocol not supported

i'm attemping to boot off of a Solaris 8 box using the standard SUN tftpd that
comes with Solaris.  i could *maybe* get a NetBSD box, but only if i can get
NetBSD (or even FreeBSD if that'll work) on my laptop.  i need to get the 3Com
Megahertz ethernet PCCARD working though, so i'd like to avoid that route if
possible, plus i'd have to push my diskspace around as well which is something
else i'd also like to avoid since the HDD on the laptop is, well... small.

should i maybe look into hacking NetBSD's tftpd and see if i can get it
running on Solaris or is there an already working replacement that should
do the trick?

thanks,

-brian