Subject: Re: some ethernet questions
To: None <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/11/2000 15:22:53
>> a significant tool for discovering network problems. If a driver does
>> not count SQE errors, the vendor has deprived you the tool and you
>> should complain LOUDLY!
>
> so does NetBSD count SQE errors or should i complain loudly? :)

NetBSD LANCE driver does not count SQE, I think.

SQE was designed to help cable/signal integrity check of field
practices (it was not a part of original Ethernet specification),
however, it was proven confusing and rather awkward design decision.

It was just fine in the sane age of "tranceiver <-> gray drop cable
<-> station", but mandates strong causions in "repeater" connection.
Then "multiport tranceiver" was introduced, and troubles got worsen.
Universal acceptance of 10baseT HUB has been nightmares in respect of
SQE discipline.  In short, SQE is not helpful for people, rather it's
troublesome.

In your case, all you have to do is to make sure to have SQE on with
your AUI <-> 10baseT MAU for DECstation.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology