Subject: Re: My DECstation 5k/240 is dead?
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/05/2000 20:44:59
Lord Isildur drunkenly mumbled...

> All i can say is this is pretty good advice. I've revived a completely
> non-responding 5k240 in this manner. even the LEDs wouldnt illuminate.
> then i stripped everything down and cleaned it, and put it back together,
> and it has worked fine for over 2 years since then! i also like to wash
> the boards off to be extra clean, and either wash them entirely in
> alcohol or at least rinse them in alcohol to avoid deposits from water
> drying. they come out nice and shiny clean!

i've been screwing around with old crufty hardware for many years now (all
manner of VAX, PDP, SUN 2/3, the occasional IBM RT, and all sorts of other
random things) and this is the best way i've ever found of reviving hardware.
the best part is that there is no brainwork, it's a great way to come home and
relax after a hard day of slamming your head against a wall.  nothing like a
good mindless activity like cleaning.

cheers,

-brian