Subject: livingdead fans in DS5000/125 and overheating
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: None <tk97el12.technis.syh@technis.syh.fi>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/05/2000 04:31:30
Hi,

After a closer look at the components on the pwr-supply's board and
I noticed that a capacitor had leaked, there was some brown stuff on
the board around it ... I replaced the damaged capacitor but it had
no effect, maybe some other components that looked affected by the
brown stuff need replacements. The brown stuff must have been some
kind of acid, because it seems to have "eaten" a bit of solder!

The potentially dangerous big capacitors on the board are well
marked with big flash-marks. (cool detail DEC!)

I checked the fans by feeding them individually with 12V DC each,
they seemed fine so I rewired power from the hdd connector; the fans
blow now at full speed all the time.

Any comments are welcome! :)

About the DS's overheating sensor: I got a message on the console
running ultrix, something like this:  "system overheating,
shutdown recommended" I don't remember the exact words. The machine
had been running for perhaps half an hour (without fans!)

Is this warning-feature implemented in netbsd?

Joachim Buss