Subject: Re: DS3100
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@guildvax.guild.net>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/27/2000 00:10:25
Lord Isildur drunkenly mumbled...
> i'm pretty sure that like microVAXen, the batteries are charged while the
> machine is on, and so if the machien is on for a long time, or just
> always left on, theyre not discharged, or are recharged. now, being
> nicads, they will need replacement at some point if you actually want
> them to hodl a charge. however, who turns their computers off?
> *grin*

um, not me. :)

ok, got it started up again, and this time went at it with some useful commands

>> scsi pb
U[7]
U[6]KN01--SII
U[5]
U[4]
U[3]
U[2]    Dev typ   0 RZ
          RMB                      0x0
          Vrs                      1
          Format                   1 CCS
          Add len                  31
          Vndr                     DEC
          PID                      RZ23     (C) DEC
          Frevlvl                  0A18
U[1]    Dev typ   0 RZ
          RMB                      0x0
          Vrs                      1
          Format                   1 CCS
          Add len                  31
          Vndr                     DEC
          PID                      RZ24     (C) DEC
          Frevlvl                  4041
U[0]

now all i need is a 10Base-T transceiver (one comming soon i hope) so i can
netboot this puppy.

related to not turning this thing off, every time i power it on it goes through
the init sequence (prints ROM version, 7..6..5..4..3..2..) and then flashes
double ? at me.  i have to push the little square reset switch and it boots up
fine.