Subject: Re: DS3100 questions
To: 'port-pmax@netbsd.org' <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/21/2000 18:06:42
On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 01:37:59AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> where can i find a serial cable for this thing?  preferably something
> that ends in an RJ45 RS-232 would be nice, although a DB9 isn't out of
> the question.

you can cut the nock (I don't know a better term) off a standard RJ11
phone connector and it'll fit in the 3100 serial ports -- you can then
wire the other end to whatever you like.

Tim Shoppa also sells ready-made mmj to DB25 and DB9 connectors:

http://www.trailing-edge.com/www/mmj.html

you can also get crimpers and dies from ideal and paladin that'll let
you make your own cables, if you're so inclined.

> i can netboot this thing off of my SUN to get it going, but can i
> install the OS that way?  (i don't see why not)

yup.  this is how I spread the NetBSD virus^W OS between my DECStations.
;)  The original vector^W server was a sun running solaris.  Just NFS
root the machine, disklabel, fdisk, mount, untar, disklabel -B, and
you're off...